My father-in-law plays in a band playing songs from the 60s, 70s, 80s by bands such as the Eagles, Beatles and Drifters. A logo and artwork was required which he wanted printed on t-shirts for the band. His idea was to have the evolution of man imagery but with one of them to be a police office holding a truncheon whilst scratching his arse.
He wanted the band name “Morfitt” to be “in a nice font underneath“. I went one step further and ran with the police theme for the band name. It was a quick turn around job as he wanted it for a gig.
I used the Police emblem/badge as inspiration to form the O.
I originally chose a Serif typeface because I felt it suited their style of music – middle of the road/soft rock/folk rock/pop. However it is hard to align this with the style of artwork he wanted which is anti-police/anarchy/punk.
I played around with the typeface to see how it would look with different typefaces.
Having getting feedback about the typeface from the client, I worked the 4th logo shown in the image above.
I cleaned up the badge emblem and also the evolution of man artwork.
This is has been a hard brief to work on due to the juxtaposition between the imagery wanted and the band’s music style. I don’t believe it is possible to combine the two without it either looking incoherent or without leaning further to one style than the other. The final logo is probably the nearest I could get without going too far either way but I don’t feel it reflects their music style, however, the client is happy with the design and is going to get the t-shirts printed himself.
After designing a t-shirt and logo the band wanted a website. Another rush job has he had the domain name printed on the t-shirts for an upcoming gig but didn’t have a website. For the sake of speed I went through template options with the band’s founder. A few tweaks to the template plus colour changes were made to make sure the theme worked for the band.
He also wanted the website populating with a few posts linking to videos the band had put on Youtube. Links to their Youtube and Facebook profile was added. Unfortunately they were no good quality images of the band – all either low res phone images or stills from Youtube videos. I came up with the idea of adding a halftone effect to hide the poor quality and then converting to duo-tone. The duo-tone added a pop to the images. Although in an ideal world good quality images would be used – this is something I have fed back to the band.